Many people do set up an outdoor barbeque, and you need a decent charcoal-lit fire for this purpose. Keeping the temperatures in check is one of the main things you would have to do. If the temperature is too high, the meat will get burned, and if it is too low, it might not get cooked properly.
You will require a decent giant green egg thermometer to monitor the temperatures. Since there are so many options available in the market, it can be difficult for you to choose one. So, we have compiled a list of the best thermometers you can use for checking temperatures. It would help you select the best one you can purchase and use.
- Best Big Green Egg Thermometer
- 1. ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Meat Thermometer with Dual Meat Probe (Best Overall)
- 2. DOLAMOTY Upgrade Replacement Thermometer for Big Green Egg Grill (Best Waterproof Lens)
- 3. Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer (Best Functional Model)
- 4. Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grill and Cooking (Best Budget-friendly Model)
- 5. DigiQ DX3 BBQ Temperature Controller Green and Digital Meat Thermometer
- Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Big Green Egg Thermometer
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Best Big Green Egg Thermometer
- ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Meat Thermometer with Dual Meat Probe (Best Overall)
- DOLAMOTY Upgrade Replacement Thermometer for Big Green Egg Grill (Best Waterproof Lens)
- Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer (Best Functional Model)
- Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grill and Cooking (Best Budget-friendly Model)
- DigiQ DX3 BBQ Temperature Controller Green and Digital Meat Thermometer (Best Expensive Model)
The ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Meat Thermometer with Dual Meat Probe is our top pick as a big green egg thermometer. It is a wireless device with double probe monitors, making it easy for you to use it hands-free.
It can monitor food, grill, oven, or smoker temperature for about 300 feet. To set this up, you do not have to go through time-consuming tasks, and it does need any synchronization. You can install it easily with its hassle-free setup.
This device has a huge LCD that can display the oven’s temperature and food. It also has a backlight, making it functional even in low-light circumstances.
The smoker thermometer has count-up and countdown features, making it excellent for long-duration cooking. After it attains the preset temperature, the receiver will start beeping and flashing.
It has preset temperature settings for about nine different kinds of meat. In addition to that, it retains settings for several levels of meat doneness as per the USDA. However, you can reset the preset temperatures.
This big green egg thermometer has a reliable stainless steel probe and step-down tip design. They will make sure to obtain temperature quickly and accurately. The probe cables can resist temperatures up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit.
What We Liked
- It supports an easy process without any time-consuming setup procedure.
- Nine different preset meat temperature settings
- It comes pre-synched with every component.
- You can use it even in low light conditions.
- Can monitor two types of meat at the same time
- It has a built-in kitchen timer and alarm function
- Auto connected with transmitter and have 300 feet remote temperature range
- Clean display with detailed functions
What We Didn’t Like
- The grill clip can sometimes lack strength.
2. DOLAMOTY Upgrade Replacement Thermometer for Big Green Egg Grill (Best Waterproof Lens)
Next, we have DOLAMOTY Upgrade Replacement Thermometer for Big Green Egg Grill. It is the perfect pick if you are looking for a waterproof device. This thermometer comes with a waterproof and no-fog glass lens, and it is available in three different versions.
The meat thermometer features a huge temperature range from 150 degrees Fahrenheit to 900 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range goes well with every desired level of meat doneness.
The big green egg thermometer comes with a 3.3″ display. With its black background, it will be easy to examine and categorize the temperature of the meat. Thus, you no longer have to be concerned about missing the precise time to grab the meat from the grill.
As we mentioned above, this food thermometer has a durable surface that is waterproof and does not get foggy because of the heat. It is ideal for various sizes of EGGs, such as MiniMax, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, and XXLarge.
It retains an additional long stainless steel probe pole for detailed temperature readings. In addition, it can specifically measure the inner temperatures of meat and maintains a short reaction time of 3 to 4 seconds.
You can install it quickly with ease as it does not need any screws. Besides that, every meter comprises a squeeze clip to clench the unit on the device.
What We Liked
- It comes with a waterproof lens
- Simple and convenient installation
- It has a quick reaction time of about 3 to 4 seconds
- Excellent for almost all grill types
- It comes with an extra-long probe
- Has high-temperature tolerance
- It avoids fogging within the screen
What We Didn’t Like
- The temperature reading can not be customizable.
3. Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer (Best Functional Model)
The Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer is the best model if you search for a highly functional food thermometer. It is a quick and accurate big green egg thermometer.
This Bluetooth thermometer can precisely capture meat temperatures of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) within one second. In addition, it has an operating range of 32 degrees Fahrenheit to 302 degrees Fahrenheit.
There are four food-grade stainless steel probes, making it easy to control numerous meat temperatures simultaneously. It is a digital big green egg thermometer. It is possible to remotely test the food temperature from the Govee Home app up to 230 feet (70m) Bluetooth range.
When the food reaches preset temperatures, you will get instant alerts on your mobile device. Due to this functional feature, there are few chances of getting burnt meat.
The big green egg thermometer comes with different preset temperatures, making it easy for you to cook various types of meat. Besides that, it features detailed temperature charts.
All the thermometer probes can capture the temperature change once every two hours. You can see the detailed list of the changes in the smartphone app.
What We Liked
- Ideal for beginner cooks, intermediate level cooks, and professional chefs
- Comes with detailed temperature charts
- Records temperature change once every two hours
- It has a working range of 32 degrees Fahrenheit to 302 degrees Fahrenheit
- Retains four food-grade stainless steel probes
- It has different preset temperatures and various meat doneness levels
- Features a Bluetooth remote range of 230 feet (70m)
What We Didn’t Like
- The mobile app is tedious and not user-friendly
4. Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grill and Cooking (Best Budget-friendly Model)
Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Grill and Cooking is the best budget-friendly model on our list. It is a digital and instant-read food thermometer.
This food thermometer has a high-end and advanced temperature probe. It features a precise and high technology that comes with a response time of two to three seconds.
You can use this big green egg thermometer for versatile purposes. For instance, you can check the temperatures of meats, frying, candies, fluids, and others.
One best aspect of this food thermometer are that it is water-resistant and features an IP66 rating. Due to that, you can wash and rinse it with water without worrying about whether it will stop working.
It is easy to read the temperature in this digital thermometer. It is because this device comes with a bright blue backlight that allows you to browse the temperature. Thus, you can even use it in slightly dark conditions as well.
The minimum storage temperature is 1 degree Fahrenheit and the maximum storage temperature range is 150 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to that, the highest temperature rating is about 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can fold the big green egg thermometer when it is not in use. Apart from that, this device arrives in a durable storage box with an instruction manual.
What We Liked
- It has a large display with a bright backlight
- Available at an affordable price
- It features auto on and off features
- Quick and precise readings with two to three seconds of reaction time
- Temperature readings are accessible in both Celsius and Fahrenheit scale
- Arrives with a safety flip system
- It has an adjustable and flexible probe
- Simple recalibrating functionality
- The package includes an instruction manual and batteries
What We Didn’t Like
- It is not a wireless device
At last, we have DigiQ DX3 BBQ Temperature Controller Green and Digital Meat Thermometer. This food thermometer is relatively the most expensive on this list and in the market as well.
The big green egg thermometer is one of the best digital temperature thermometers. It can quickly trace the meat’s inner temperature and the grill’s temperature.
It features a large three-digit LED display where you can easily watch the temperature of the food or oven. It has a blaze red sight, which you can see even in low light conditions.
When the food reaches a specific or preset temperature, this device will start making audible beeping sounds. Therefore, it will be easy to avoid overcooked or undercooked meat.
The temperature readings are relatively precise. In addition to that, it comes with 6 feet long pit probes in the package. Also, you will get a control mount bracket in the packet.
This big green egg thermometer features a high-end ramp mode. It will automatically lessen pit temperature and avoid overlooking meat when it reaches 30 degrees of being done.
It shows compatibility with various tools, for instance, Big Green Egg (M, L, and XL), smokers, Weber grills, Primo Grills, DragonFire Grill, Ceramic Grill, Kamado Joe, Cypress Grill, and Vision Classic models.
What We Liked
- It comes with a functional ramp mode
- Temperature readings are accurate and quick
- It arrives with a large three digit LED display
- It features universal compatibility
- Automatically reduces the pit temperature (whenever necessary)
- All options can be seen clearly on the green background
- It has separate cables ports for fan, 12VDC, food, and pit
- Pit viper medium-sized fan is included in the package
What We Didn’t Like
- It is relatively expensive, and sometimes users may face control issues
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Big Green Egg Thermometer
In order not to end up with an unreliable and poor-quality big green egg thermometer, it is vital to consider a few factors while acquiring it. Here, we have carefully curated the best aspects and features of the best green egg thermometer, distinguishing it from low-quality models.
Managing The Temperature
Managing the temperature is often the first factor you need to consider while picking the best green egg thermometer. Suppose you select a food thermometer that can not measure the temperature properly. There are chances that the meat may get overcooked or undercooked in that case. In addition to that, check if the food thermometer has different temperature readings for various types of meats: pork, beef, chicken, turkey, and more.
The device’s wireless feature is one of the most important characteristics currently. This function can be found in various forms, each with its own set of benefits, but what matters is your priority.
The wireless connection, which includes a remote, can be carried up to a distance. With this feature, you can easily check the temperature of the food even from a faraway distance. For instance, some models have a remote operating range of 100 feet, while others have 250 feet or 270 feet. A few high-end models even have a working range of about 300 feet.
Precise Temperature Readings
While choosing the big green egg thermometer, you have to look for one primary factor: temperature accuracy. To get the right doneness or cook the food properly, it is vital to have precise temperature control. The meat thermometers with accurate temperature readings make it easy to follow even the minor changes.
Preset Temperature Settings
If the big green egg thermometer comes with preset temperature settings, it will be easy for you to get the desired temperatures of the food. It is best to choose the thermometer that arrives with various temperature settings for different foods. Some high-end models even allow you to modify the preset temperature settings.
You have to be able to read the indicators on the surface of a big green egg thermometer. If the device does not have a proper indicator, it will be difficult for you to see the temperature readings. Apart from that, check if the display has decent functions. For instance, some high-level models come with buttons on the surface where it is clearly written what function it is for.
Another thing you have to consider is the price of the big green egg thermometers. It is better not to choose the cheap models as there are chances that they might turn out bad. However, it does not mean that you have to buy expensive models. Rather, it is best to check the product, its features, quality, sturdiness and determine if the price is worth the purchase or not.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will the thermometers send alerts when the food is done?
Yes. Thermometers instantly start beeping and flashing when the meat is done, but not all models. A few high-end big green egg thermometers feature a separate smartphone app. They can send notifications to your phone once the food reaches a specific temperature.
Does the big green egg thermometer record only the food temperature?
It depends on the model of the food thermometer. Some thermometers can record the temperatures of both meat and oven (grill), while others can only capture the food temperature.
Is it all right to leave the probes in the food while cooking in the smoker?
Yes. You can leave the probes in the food while it is in the smoker. All you have to do is keep in mind not to put the cord close to any direct flame.
It can be overwhelming to choose the ideal big green egg thermometer as there are plenty of models available in the market. All the products we have listed above surpass our requirements and are the best big green egg thermometers.
If we have to pick one product, we recommend ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Meat Thermometer with Dual Meat Probe. It is a wireless food thermometer with features like a hands-free monitor, hassle-free setup, USDA preset temperature settings, durable and accurate probes. However, you can pick any of the above-listed big green egg thermometers that best fit your needs.