This review gives you a definitive guide to some of the best canned gumbo on the market.
Gumbo is one of the best cuisines out there in the United States. It is basically a flavored stock and meat, shellfish, and more. The dish is very famous in the state of Louisiana, and it also has a combination of bell peppers and other veggies. Gumbo could be prepared with or without the okra.
The famous gumbo is also available in cans. Here in this article, we have tried to give detailed information on the best-canned gumbo you can order online. The canned food selection becomes very important as inappropriately canned items are not healthy enough for consumption.
Hence let’s find out the best-canned gumbo which will be the best for healthy consumption.
- Best Canned Gumbo
- 1. Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo (Best Overall)
- 2. Blue Runner—Creole Seafood Gumbo Base—25 Ounce Can (Specially Flavoured)
- 3. Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup, 10.5 oz. Can (Cost-efficient)
- 4. Progresso Traditional Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Soup (The Chicken Gumbo)
- 5. Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash 14 (Traditional taste)
- 6. Gardein Plant-Based Saus’ge & Minestrone Soup (The Vegan Variation)
- Buyers Guide For the Best Canned Gumbo
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Canned Gumbo
- Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo (Best Overall)
- Blue Runner—Creole Seafood Gumbo Base—25 Ounce Can (Specially Flavoured)
- Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup, 10.5 oz. Can (Cost-efficient)
- Progresso Traditional Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Soup (The Chicken Gumbo)
- Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash 14 (Traditional Taste)
- Gardein Plant-Based Saus’ge & Minestrone Soup (The Vegan Variation)
1. Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo (Best Overall)
If you are a fan of gumbo and want a fantastic canned gumbo with a unique texture and taste, then this special Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo is the best you can have. It is a ready-to-eat packed food item; hence all you need is to open the can and consume the gumbo.
The unique Creole flavor is present with the gumbo, which provides an authentic touch to the item. One can also find numerous items such as chicken meat, rice, Andouille sausage, and even okra. The okra makes the dish even more special. The company doesn’t add any artificial color, which is remarkable.
One entire can of this Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo has approximately 15 grams of proteins. It is an easy-to-consume food item, and you can even consume this healthy item even in the morning.
What we like
- You can get real meat and veggies in the canned gumbo.
- It is easily microwavable.
- The protein content in this canned gumbo is very high.
- The packaging used is also of high quality.
- Even the packaging material is recyclable.
What We Didn’t Like
- It is a little spicy; hence few people find it not the best choice for consumption.
- The consistency is also not very thick.
- Okra present in the gumbo is not of high quality.
2. Blue Runner—Creole Seafood Gumbo Base—25 Ounce Can (Specially Flavoured)
This is the traditional Gumbo one can find in the market. It contains the original flavors in a traditional seafood gumbo base. It is a fresh vegetable-filled gumbo along with slowly cooked rouks. One can instantly unpack the gumbo base from the special packaging and consume it within no time. If you require the perfect Runner Creole Seafood Gumbo Base along with a bowl of rice, then this is the best option out there in the market.
The company claims it to be made with the old fashion traditional recipe, which actually is pretty amazing. Blue runners have been manufacturing canned gumbo for more than a hundred years, so that you can trust their fantastic recipe.
You will also get mixes of special seasoning in this package of gumbo base, which makes it different from all the others in the market.
What we like
- You get an authentic creole recipe that is very special to taste.
- One can get the best seasonings and the mixes Of spices in this canned gumbo.
- There are unique Creole Cream Style Beans present in this food item.
- The soup is not too spicy and is just precisely at the correct constituency one requires.
- The packaging is very safe and could be instantly used.
What We Didn’t Like
- Tastes very simple and is based on the traditional recipe.
- Relatively more expensive than others.
3. Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup, 10.5 oz. Can (Cost-efficient)
If you are a fan of chicken gumbo soup, then here is the best-canned chicken gumbo soup for you. It is a high-quality flavored enriched gumbo soup that can be served with rice, and the special packaging is a non-BPA lined can that can be easily recycled.
You will also get different flavors and options out there with the Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup. The high-quality ingredients used in this canned Gambo are very nutritious and beneficial for consumption.
The packaging used is robust, but on the other hand, It is comparatively not suitable for long-lasting usage. There are no artificial flavors added to the canned gumbo, making it a pretty natural and high-quality food item. Even the food item stored is low in fat and cholesterol.
What we like
- The mix of different flavors is excellent in this canned gumbo.
- The cholesterol and fat content is shallow.
- The packaging is robust and attractive.
- There are no added flavors with this can of gumbo.
- It is a trusted brand and serves ready-to-use food at its best.
What We Didn’t Like
- The item is significantly overpriced.
- The soup is not great with the authentic taste.
- The canned food cannot be stored for an extended period.
4. Progresso Traditional Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Soup (The Chicken Gumbo)
The special Progresso Traditional sausage gumbo soup is one of the best authentic gumbo ones can get in a can. We have mentioned a pack of 6 here with this product. The chicken broth used is very thick. On the other hand, you can quickly get huge chunks of vegetables such as tomato, onions, kidney beans, and more in the gumbo. The chicken used is very authentic, and it is of high quality.
Okra has been used in this canned gumbo, making it more accurate and authentic in taste. It is comparatively very spicy, and you will get four different sausages in the can out there. The best part about this gumbo soup is the fact that it is made traditionally.
The meat used is very soft, and on the other hand, you can expect extra fibrous portions present in the canned gumbo. Moreover, it tastes very sublime, and on the other hand, you can get good packaging.
What we like
- The meat used in this canned gumbo is very soft.
- You will get numerous veggies in this item.
- The central fibrous portion, which is basically made from okra, is excellent.
- The chicken sausages are very spicy and are worth trying.
- The entire packaging is good, and it is the perfect design that enables it to be ready to eat instantly.
What We Didn’t Like
- The quality assurance is not great, and the quantity of meat is meager.
- Okra-based soup is not very significant.
- The fibrous portion is sometimes hard to swallow.
5. Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash 14 (Traditional taste)
With more than 75 years of experience in making excellent can gumbo, the Mary kitchen product mentioned here is one of the best out in the market. You can get more than 17 g of proteins per serving. It is straightforward to make and, basically, is fully cooked so you can consume it directly from the tin. They use the special homemade recipe, which has been the secret of their unique taste. You will get a good amount of potatoes in meat in the canned gumbo.
It is one of the best fits for breakfasts. The rich fibrous portion present in the gumbo is good enough to nourish the body. Unlike all the other traditional gumbo preparation methods, this canned gumbo has a twist as it is made from different modern techniques.
Moreover, the soup is not very spicy, and on the other hand, the thickness is not very even, which is a matter to be considered. The unique elements introduced in the gumbo make it a better choice. Moreover, the company has been manufacturing these canned gumbos for ages now, and hence you can trust the brand name.
What we like
- The special beef edition is with the meat quality.
- The soup is not very spicy, as mentioned above.
- The tin cans are very safe for packaging.
- The brand name is huge, and they use unique manufacturing processes.
- It can provide more than 17 grams of protein in one serving.
- The taste is excellent, and it offers exceptional nourishment for the body.
What We Didn’t Like
- The soup is skinny.
- The beef can be tough to chew for a few people.
6. Gardein Plant-Based Saus’ge & Minestrone Soup (The Vegan Variation)
Technically this canned gumbo is plant-based and has less amount of other items. It is a variation to the traditional gumbo, but on the other hand, if you are looking to try something new, then this delicious experiment is the best you can have. You can enjoy it with noodles and also with plain rice. The main soup has lots of green beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and even other veggies.
It is an excellent variation to the traditional gumbo and could be a good option for vegan people. It is rich in vitamin C, and you can also get a rich amount of sodium with this unique canned gumbo. You can get 14 grams of protein from one serving of the can.
The packaging is good, and you can use it anywhere according to your need. Moreover, this week is a variation of the combo, is one of the most selling products these days in the market.
What we like:
- It is a good option for vegan people.
- The vegetables used are of high-grade quality.
- The food item is excellent in providing vitamin C.
- The product is worth its price.
- The canned gumbo is made in a new way with a new technique.
What We Didn’t Like
- The authentic traditional test cannot be obtained.
- The soup is very thick.
Buyers Guide For the Best Canned Gumbo
Buying canned food is a very tricky task. If you don’t select the best one out there, it might cause serious health hazards. Especially when we talk about gumbo, one never wants the traditional food to taste bad. Hence, to get a good experience while buying a canned gumbo, you need to consider a few points while shopping for it. We have provided a detailed buying guide to help you out.
Check for the seal
While buying a canned gumbo, you must be sure that the product is completely sealed. If the seal is broken or the packaging is distorted, there is a high possibility that the gumbo inside has reacted to the other environment and ultimately becomes unfit to be consumed. One must consider the fact that gumbo has a lot of broth and other rich minerals such as meat particles which can be a breeding ground for microbes, so never accept if the seal is broken.
Another point to be considered while buying a canned gumbo is to select the product that has a lesser fat content. Extra fat inside the gumbo will cause two significant problems. It will ruin the thickness of the soup or the broth used in the gumbo. And on the other hand, consuming extra fat is not a great idea in maintaining a healthy body. Fat also tastes very bad; hence low-fat content in canned foods is appreciated.
Seafood or the Normal Gumbo
The canned seafood-based gumbo is also a famous option. But on the other hand, the traditional gumbo uses meat, basically chicken. While buying one of these, you must select according to the meat you like. However, stored and preserved seafood in a can starts to taste bad after a limited time; hence you must decide very precisely. If you select the seafood option, try to use it as soon as possible.
Look for the preservative used
People think that canned foods are absolutely safe for consumption, but on a more realistic note, the complex chemicals used to preserve the food can severely affect the human body. Especially in foods with a liquid medium, the preservatives became even harsher. Few companies want to extend the shelf lives of the canned gumbo, and they use chemicals to prevent the food that might have fatal effects on many body parts. Hence you must do your research and go for the safest option.
Sometimes, canned food can cost you a lot. Gumbo is a famous dish, but many companies try to provide different additions to the traditional dish, which actually increases the price. The price is always a factor to be considered while shopping for a product, and you must consider the fact even while shopping for canned gumbo. The beef gumbo is among the costliest ones out there in the market.
Canned foods come with a given expiry date which tells us about the specific date up till the canned gumbo is good enough to be consumed. If you are buying canned food, then there is a high possibility you are doing so because you want to store the edible. Hence, in this case, you must lookout for a product that has a long-lasting shelf life.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Gumbo?
Gumbo is a special dish that is famous in many parts of the United States of America. It basically is a stew with a lot of veggies and meat. There are many variations in the process of making the dish, and the dish is often consumed with rice or noodles.
Is gumbo in a can suitable for consumption?
Gumbo is readily available in cans and is entirely safe to consume. These cans have stored gumbo with the help of preservatives and other chemicals. You must lookout for the chemicals used to avoid possible health hazards.
How long can we store canned Gumbo?
The canned gumbo lasts for three days if you refrigerate it accordingly if you open the seal. But when we talk of deep freezing, you can easily keep gumbo for more than six months. We will always suggest consuming the entire can after opening it for safer consumption.
Can the canned gumbo be reheated?
Yes, the canned gumbo could be reheated very quickly, but heating it too hard can burn the broth. On the other hand, many chemicals are not meant to be heat treated. Hence it would help if you look for the given instruction with the special can packages.
How to store seafood gumbo in the canned form?
Seafood is very sensitive to chemicals and metals., and hence the possibility of storing them in cans is significantly less. But certain companies have come up with particular alloy cans that can store and even use them in the gumbo to produce seafood gumbo in cans. However, after opening the seal to such a pack, you can only store them for a day or so.
Above in the article, we tried to mention all about the best canned gumbo in the market. If we would have to pick one, our best recommendation is Campbell’s Chunky Soup, Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. We hope that the buying guide helps you pick up the best-canned gumbo for you.