There are different knives to cut several edible items in the kitchen while you cook. Each of them serves specific purposes and often is not interchangeable.
It is one reason you need a good knife for cutting sweet potatoes and similar items. Sweet potatoes are relatively good for health and have several benefits when consumed regularly.
We have reviewed six of the best knives for you to select which one would suit you best. These reviews depend on various factors like reliability, handling, weight, and more.
- Reviews Of the Best Knives for Cutting Sweet Potatoes
- 1. Orblue Chef Knife – Professional Cooking Knife With Ergonomic Handle & Sharp Blade (Best Overall)
- 2. TenSteed Chef Knife (Best Versatile Model)
- 3. EUNA 5 PCS Knife Chef Set Ultra Sharp (Expensive Knife Set)
- 4. AMSZL Chef Knife, Professional Knife 8 Inch (Best Design)
- 5. Wanbasion Black Stainless Steel Knife Set (Best Steel Knife Set)
- 6. CUTLUXE Paring Knife (Best Compact Model)
- Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Knife for Cutting Sweet Potatoes
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Reviews Of the Best Knives for Cutting Sweet Potatoes
- Orblue Chef Knife – Professional Cooking (Best Overall)
- TenSteed Chef Knife (Best Versatile Model)
- EUNA 5 PCS Knife Chef Set Ultra Sharp (Expensive Knife Set)
- AMSZL Chef Knife, Professional Knife 8 Inch (Best Design)
- Wanbasion Black Stainless Steel Knife Set (Best Steel Knife Set)
- CUTLUXE Paring Knife (Best Compact Model)
1. Orblue Chef Knife – Professional Cooking Knife With Ergonomic Handle & Sharp Blade (Best Overall)
This knife has good looks and also a decent handle which will help you cut hard-to-cut items like sweet potatoes. Since it is made from high-carbon stainless steel, it is as durable as you would like a knife to be.
The extremely sharp edge of the knife makes cutting easier. The thickness of the blade is just 2.5 mm and is handcrafted, which makes it last longer than most knives in the market. Precise cutting in a clean manner is possible with this knife.
You can get maximum control while cutting since it is ergonomically designed with its handle. It is also easy to move the knife while cutting vegetables and other fruits. It is also possible to use the knife to dice, cut, mince, and slice meat apart from vegetables or fruits.
This Orblue chef knife has dimensions of 8 x 1.8 x 0.1 inches and weighs only 6.00 ounces or a touch over 170 grams. It also comes with a lifetime warranty, which speaks volumes of the quality.
What We Liked
- Cuts sweet potatoes and other vegetables and fruits like avocado with ease.
- The low weight makes it easy to handle.
- It has a very stylish look that makes it attractive in the kitchen.
- Precision cutting is possible with different items.
- Cutting meat is also possible with this knife.
What We Didn’t Like
- It needs to be sharpened after regular use for a few weeks.
- The handle is flimsy and likely to come apart if you use it regularly for cutting dense products.
- No re-sharpening material is provided
2. TenSteed Chef Knife (Best Versatile Model)
The two things that stand out in this product are the handle and the blade’s edge. These are the most essential in almost all types of knives that are out there. The material of the blade is alloy steel and is corrosion-free.
Since it has a wooden handle, it allows for better gripping and handling when cutting through tough-to-cut items. The knife’s dimensions are 13.7 x 2.6 x 1.26 inches and weigh 8.4 ounces or a little over 238 grams.
It cuts well despite being a little heavier than its competition in the market. It does not matter if you are right- or left-handed as it is compatible with both. This knife can be used on meat, apart from vegetables and fruits.
Mincing, dicing, chopping, and slicing are the most common uses of this knife. The anti-corrosion property of this knife ensures longevity and durability. The handle to blade ratio is appropriate, making delicate or hard-to-cut objects easy to cut with this knife.
What We Liked
- The wooden handle provides a better grip compared to metal handles.
- Easy handling of the knife for both left and right-handed use.
- Good handle to blade ratio makes cutting easier.
- A 15-degree angle of the blade makes for easy cutting of hard-to-cut objects.
- It can be used for cutting and mincing purposes of meats.
- Good value for the money paid.
What We Didn’t Like
- It has to be sharpened often if used regularly.
- Little heavy to be used for long durations of time.
- Wet hands make the handle slippery.
- Not dishwasher-friendly.
3. EUNA 5 PCS Knife Chef Set Ultra Sharp (Expensive Knife Set)
Although this product is a set of knives, it has a chef’s knife and a slicer knife which are capable of cutting sweet potatoes. Both of these knives are 8 inches and serve multiple purposes for slicing, cutting, mincing, and dicing.
With ease, you can use these two knives on meat, fruits, and vegetables. It operates well with a good balance between the handle and the blade. The construction of this blade is forged, which makes it sturdy and easy to use.
The metal used for the blade is high carbon stainless steel, and it is also protected against rusting and corrosion. The non-sticky property of these knives makes for easier washing or cleaning after you use them in your kitchen. The black finish makes it stylish in appearance too.
Wrist tension is almost not present even when you use the knife for prolonged periods. Corrugated at the handle means easier handling and grip even while cutting tough-to-cut objects like sweet potatoes, meat, or fruits like avocado.
What We Liked
- A corrugated handle makes gripping, cutting, and handling easier.
- The color of the blade makes it look stylish.
- Very sharp edges that would have to be handled carefully.
- The ergonomic design allows cutting hard to cut things easier.
- A good set of knives and good value for money.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Edges of the knife go blunt too soon and require re-sharpening.
- The manufacturer provided no re-sharpening objects.
- One blade is of no use as it was too flimsy.
4. AMSZL Chef Knife, Professional Knife 8 Inch (Best Design)
The technique used to manufacture this knife is apparently from Germany. Carbon material used for the blade makes for an amazing cutting experience. The knife has dimensions of 13 x 2.1 x 0.55 inches, making it beneficial and durable at the same time.
The Oriental Sacred Wood Knife provides superior grip while cutting difficult-to-cut objects like sweet potatoes and meat products. Integration of the neck with the handle is also seamless, which makes it a perfect kitchen companion in your kitchen.
Since it is corrosion and stain-resistant, you can find it easy to use on almost any type of material in your kitchen. The triple rivets on the handle make it nearly an integral part, avoiding any chances of the knife handle shaking throughout use.
The AMSZL chef knife is also light in weight at 1.08 pounds or above 480 grams. If you wish to have a multipurpose knife in your kitchen which is easy to handle, this would be one of your best bets. The hardness of the blade is enhanced using the best technology.
What We Liked
- Excellent handle made of wood provides superior grip while cutting hard objects.
- 9-layer clad steel provides a great cutting experience.
- Since being lightweight, it can be used for long durations without stress on your wrists.
- It can serve multiple purposes like cutting, dicing, mincing, and chopping.
- Very sharp edges make it ideal for cutting different hard-to-cut food items in the kitchen.
What We Didn’t Like
- Re-sharpening tools not provided by the manufacturer.
- A steep decline in the sharpness of the knife in a short period.
- Requires specific tools to re-sharpen the blade.
5. Wanbasion Black Stainless Steel Knife Set (Best Steel Knife Set)
The first nice thing that we noticed about this knife set is that it is dishwasher safe. Not all knife manufacturers provide you with this type of knife. We were surprised about the toughness with which the 8 inches knife came, and it barely bends or flexes while cutting.
It was applicable even when we tried to cut difficult-to-cut objects. Sweet potatoes were easy to cut right after the package was opened. It has different knives in the set, which almost makes for a complete knife set you might want at home.
Dicing, cutting, slicing, and mincing are all possible with either of the two 8-inch knives in the kit. The handle is made of plastic and provides a good grip. The stainless-steel metal makes it anti-corrosive and resistant to rust or scratches.
To re-sharpen the knife, you will have to purchase equipment provided by the manufacturer. This set makes excellent value for the money you pay. If you are looking for an affordable kitchen knife set, this can be the best option in the market.
What We Liked
- A set of knives serves multiple purposes of cutting in the kitchen.
- The look of the blade makes it appealing and fashionable.
- Not easily bendable, making it sturdy while cutting difficult-to-cut objects.
- Extremely sharp at the edges makes cutting simpler, faster, and easier.
- No stress to the wrists while cutting for extended periods.
What We Didn’t Like
- It is not rust-resistant, as it began to rust after a few washes.
- The knife blade tends to go blunt within weeks of regular use.
- The plastic handle makes it slippery, especially when your hands are wet.
- Not dishwasher safe by any means.
6. CUTLUXE Paring Knife (Best Compact Model)
The Cutluxe paring knife is smaller in size but serves the purpose of cutting sweet potatoes with ease. The knife handle is made of pakkawood, which gives a decent gripping experience when cutting through difficult-to-cut items in the kitchen.
The manufacturer also provides this product with a lifetime warranty which talks well about the quality of the knife. It has dimensions of 7.83 x 1.17 x 0.87 inches and weighs only 4.8 ounces or a little over 130 grams.
Despite the size, structure, and weight, the knife performs well without putting any stress on the wrists, even with prolonged usage in the kitchen. The knife feels a little heavier for its size but provides the user with a good weight balance ratio while handling.
The tempered stainless-steel material of the blade provides good performance at the edges and retains it for an acceptable period.
What We Liked
- It has a small stature and ergonomic design.
- Supreme cutting and handling even with difficult-to-cut objects like meat and raw sweet potatoes.
- No stress at all on the wrist, even when used for long periods.
- Compact design that is unlike its competitors in the market.
- High carbon stainless steel makes it rust-proof.
- A triple riveted handle means no shaking of the handle and blade as it merges well.
What We Didn’t Like
- Handle to blade proposition is not sufficient as the handle feels too small at times.
- The handle is a little slippery when used with wet hands.
- It does not go well with cutting meat products, especially the tough parts.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Knife for Cutting Sweet Potatoes
There are a few factors that you should certainly consider before you buy the best knife to cut sweet potatoes. Unless you consider these factors, it is impossible to get the best knife for specific purposes like this. So, we list the factors that you should consider before buying.
1. Safety of the Knife
You must consider this factor as the most important one. Make sure that the knife meets the common safety standards. If the manufacturer meets these standards, most of the other factors are likely to fall in place.
2. Sharpness and Edge
It comes as the second most important thing you should look for in a knife. After all, what are knives meant for if they are not sharp and do not have a good edge? This factor also determines what kitchen or edible items you would be able to cut with it.
3. Grip and Handle
Knives need to have a good grip if they are to remain steady when you cut difficult-to-cut objects. If slippery, there are chances of accidents in the kitchen while you use the knife. So, purchase a knife that has a good handle.
4. Handle and Blade Ratio
Although there are no specific standards to determine the handle and blade ratio, you can seek help with reviews. These often speak about how good the knife is with the ratio and balance. Reading reviews from 3rd party websites might be genuinely helpful.
5. Corrosion and Rust Resistance
It goes without saying that the knife that you purchase would be exposed to wetness during and after use. So, finding a corrosion and rust-resistant model would be an ideal kitchen item that you can acquire.
6. Blade Material
The material that the blade is made of should be considered too. Some metals tend to bend and flex when you want them to stay sturdy. Therefore, knowing about the material, thickness, and qualities is vital before purchasing.
7. Integration of the Blade with Handle
The integration of the blade with the handle is a factor that is commonly ignored. Proper integration would mean that the handle and blade do not feel like two different parts. So, finding a knife with a sturdy handle is relatively crucial.
You must understand how long the knife would remain sharp even when used regularly. It would determine the durability and longevity of the blade. In case if the knife goes blunt, you would need to sharpen it often or end up purchasing a new one.
Understand the terms and conditions of the warranty that comes from the manufacturer. In case of a defect or malfunction, you need to have a return and replacement with ease. It especially applies to the knives you purchase over the internet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What metal is ideal for a knife?
Although knives are made with ideal metals, you should look for the one that is rust and corrosion-resistant. Stainless steel is considered one of the best options in terms of these factors.
What type of handle should I select for the knife?
Select a handle that provides superior grip. Remember that any handle material can provide good grip despite being made of plastic, rubber, metal, or wood. So, look for the handle design more than anything else.
Should the knife be flexible?
It is better if the knife is not flexible if you want to use it to cut hard to cut objects like sweet potatoes. However, some blades are flexible but still are good enough to cut through hard items.
What is a reasonable price to pay for a knife?
It depends on the type of knife you wish to purchase, the quality of it, and the brand. There are no set standards and protocols that determine how much you can pay for a good knife for your kitchen.
Always remember for what purpose you want the knife and look for blades capable of doing it. This way, you would not be disappointed with your choice at a later point. Choose a brand or product that has decent testimonials. It would ensure that you get the best knife available out there in the market with minimal or no complaints.
All the above-listed six knives are winners in their own way, and you can choose the model that best fits your requirements. However, our top pick would be Orblue Chef Knife – Professional Cooking. It is a sturdy knife made of durable materials which can easily cut sweet potatoes.